NEWS

CAN condemns Oyo school abductions, urges urgent action

CAN condemns Oyo school abductions, urges urgent action

According THE PUNCH, The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has strongly condemned the abduction of schoolchildren, teachers and school officials following coordinated attacks on schools in Ahoro-Esinele and Yawota communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

The body described the incident as a national disgrace and warned that it reflects a troubling spread of organised criminal violence into parts of the South-West.

In a statement issued on Monday and signed by its President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, CAN said armed attackers invaded multiple schools, killed innocent residents and abducted several pupils and staff members in a brazen assault that has left communities shaken.

The association said the incident highlights what it called a disturbing collapse in security. It added that it is unacceptable for children to be exposed to the fear of kidnapping while in classrooms meant to be safe learning spaces.

Also Read: PFN Declares 3-Day Fast Over Insecurity,2027 Elections

CAN said the attack was not an isolated case but part of a worsening pattern of insecurity across the country. It warned that criminal groups are increasingly expanding their reach into regions previously considered relatively safe.

The Christian body also expressed grief over the killing of an assistant headmaster who reportedly died while attempting to protect students during the attack. It said such sacrifices must not be ignored and insisted that those responsible must be arrested and prosecuted.

The association also reacted to growing public frustration over repeated incidents of violence, saying Nigerians are tired of repeated condolences without meaningful action or lasting solutions.

According to CAN, the continued failure to dismantle kidnapping networks is contributing to the normalisation of fear in affected communities. It warned that insecurity is no longer confined to one region but is now spreading across the country, threatening national stability and public confidence.

Also Read: Oyedepo Plans 2,000 Electric Buses for Lagos church

CAN called on the Federal Government, security agencies and the Oyo State Government to act quickly to secure the release of the abducted victims. It urged a coordinated security response supported by intelligence operations to track and dismantle criminal groups responsible for the attack.

The body further stressed that schools and rural communities must be given stronger protection, particularly in areas vulnerable to repeated attacks.

It added that when children are targeted in their classrooms, inaction becomes dangerous and unacceptable.

CAN expressed solidarity with affected families and residents of the communities, while offering prayers for the safe return of all abducted victims.

source :THE PUNCHNG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Content Credit: Azeez Amosun

Image Credit:Google.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *